I have an aversion to politics. This includes debates. I don't see the relevance of staged discussions that are more often than not mired in lies.
The argument that we must vote for the lesser of the evils will never sit well with me. When I vote, I want to vote my conscience, not for the boob who's less offensive. I do research my options, though not as much as I probably ought to. The thing is, in order to do our due diligence when it comes to getting to know more about our candidates, their track records, and their agendas, it would be a full-time job with mandatory overtime. This is the reason stumping and debates exist.
My problem with this is that someone else (many different someones) are pre-packaging what they want us to know. Granted, this is essentially what it takes to even run for public office — but how are the pictures that are carefully crafted the same as being truly informed? I just don't think the current state of politics is based on anything besides corruption and greed, so trusting all the so-called examples of a front runner's experience and likelihood to be the best for a particular office isn't something I'm willing to do.
Ok, I get it. Things don't get better and they don't change if everyone buries their heads in the sand. That isn't what I'm suggesting. For me, watching debates is like a kid being forced to eat the vegetable they hate the most. It might have some benefits for his health, but the stress his body goes through attempting to resist at first, and then eventually succumbing to the pressure and choking down each and every bite until his plate is clear just isn't worth it in the end. Forcing myself to sit and watch two proven liars supply answers to questions that are supposed to gain the voting public's trust, and more importantly, their votes, isn't worth the irritation and anger that will rise up inside me and black out precious positive energy.
I don't expect any candidate — for president or any other public office, to be perfect. There are always things we as voters will have to weigh and decide if we can live with or without. The thing is, the two most likely options don't possess enough in the way of redeeming or admirable qualities for me to cast my vote in their favor. It's far too much of a compromise with either of them then I'm comfortable sitting with. My conscience would take too long to recover were I to adopt the 'lesser of the evils' approach when I close the curtain behind me in November.
There is absolutely nothing good about Trump. Everything about him is slimy, twisted, arrogant and just downright evil. He is toxic in the most obvious ways, yet the amount of people who are choosing to believe in him is jaw dropping. Clinton, well she may have a decent quality or two, but it isn't enough to sway me in her direction. I don't trust her. Despite having the common ground of being American, white, female and mother, she does not, nor has she ever exemplified strength, femininity, or trustworthiness. When it comes to these candidates, there is not a better choice. There's only marginally less awful in my opinion, and that, at least for me isn't remotely good enough.
Somehow, I will continue to go about my life resisting the insistence that I consume that hated vegetable. I am certain I can continue to thrive by getting better nutrients elsewhere, and it won't compromise who I am in the process. There are many other options out there, and I'm certain I will like some of them quite a lot.
No comments:
Post a Comment