Sometimes it occurs to me that I can be a little too hard on other people. I'm a no-nonsense kind of person, for the most part, so in the thick of just-get-it-done and buck-up-honey, I often forget that my life has given me tools that others haven't ever used. This is not to say that I feel superior; more that every so often I am faced with the reality that I am not like a lot of people.
It is knee-jerk for me to saddle-up and ride, no matter how much life might kick, buck and try to throw me to the ground. Dealing with others, this is sometimes interpreted as harsh and uncaring, which couldn't be further from the truth. The delivery might not be appreciated or understood by some, but the emotions and thoughts behind my words are rooted in wanting the best for whomever I'm interacting with at that moment.
I was born with a bit of a stubborn streak. That tenacity mixed with some rough times has a way of changing a person. I got knocked down a lot from an early age. I could have let it all wear me down, but it only made me more determined to get back up and keep going. Maybe it isn't always the best approach, but I have no doubts that I can overcome anything because of it. That doesn't mean clearing the hurdles I face and will continue to face is any easier. It just means that I spend less time worrying about tripping and falling flat on my face than someone else might.
Failure and falling down aren't things I'm afraid of anymore, at least not often. I can't see the value in wasting my energy being embarrassed or feeling like I'm not qualified or good enough. If I put my all into something and it doesn't work out, or I fall flat on my face, I can always try again. Not to mention there is usually something of a lesson to be learned, all I have to do is focus on the experience and not the disappointment. By the same token, if I didn't put forth my best, I've gotten a great reminder of what you put in directly affects what you get in return.
This near black and white view works well for me, and for some of the people in my life. I just find that sometimes I need to remember that not everyone is able to process the information produced by experiences as quickly or in quite the same manner as I do. From my point of view, I see it as being easier to leave the non-essential distractions of inadequate feelings and the fear of making another mistake behind, but some people need to feel their way around their life. Sometimes that means surrounding themselves with the not-so-great feelings and aspects of an event gone awry until they've learned that those aren't the things that were important in the whole experience.
I don't know that I could slow my own approach to life and failure down, but I am aware that I can't expect everyone to operate at the same pace. There is something to be learned from engaging with all types of people, and with this I believe I will learn to be more empathetic and less matter-of-fact. The benefits of being able to continue pushing forward while finding the best way to support those who prefer to consider the entire emotional package of days gone wrong in the way they need - yeah, I think there's immense value in that.
No comments:
Post a Comment