Sunday, September 11, 2016

Peaceful Mornings

There is nothing quite like the quiet of the morning before the kids wake up. Since the day they started sleeping in, I have looked forward to enjoying my coffee and writing most weekend mornings. It's the little things in life that make all the difference.

I love my sons and spending time with them is my favorite thing to do. There is just something about the peace in the house when they are fast asleep. I remember checking in on them before turning in for the night myself when they were little. No matter how old they get, that angelic halo that adorns them in their slumber shines. Seeing them so still, knowing they are resting up for whatever awaits them when they awake, it's impossible to not appreciate the wonder of life.

These grown men were once adorable and cuddly toddlers. They tried my patience and made me want to scream, but the moment I saw their little faces relaxed and sleeping the previous hours of challenging parenting moments were a distant memory. I suppose that knowing they both are tucked away in their beds, comfortable and warm gives me a sense of accomplishment. I've kept them safe, they are healthy and well-fed, and my home is whole.

There will come a time, all too soon, when these solitary mornings are without the reward of groggy expressions accompanied by bedhead trudging out into the living room. I will miss that almost as much as I miss watching them sleep. No matter how old they get, no matter where they are, they will always look like those little boys visiting dreamland when I catch a glimpse of them in their slumber. At least in the eyes of their mother they will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment