Monday, September 26, 2016

It's Time To Step Up

Years ago, I pulled myself away from all the 'news' channels, stopped reading article after article about whatever tragedy or big news was the media's focus, and was able to concentrate on living a more positive, proactive life.

By no means am I an activist or even a good example of being the change I want to see in the world. I just know that weighing my mind and soul down with half-truths and sensationalized events is no way to contribute anything positive to the world around me. Instead of letting myself be barraged by all the negativity and slanted views, I'm putting my energy into being a better version of me than I was the day before. This includes being more than tolerant of others; I can't allow the urge to judge people to take over and add to the already tenuous climate we live in.

I grew up during a time when equal rights only seemed to apply to select groups. Women were still expected to be somewhat subservient, and like now, were not compensated at the same rate of pay for the same effort as their male counterparts. There was no equality among races, homosexuality was still viewed as unnatural and wrong, and transgender was barely talked about. Despite how it may have looked, we were undergoing some incredible changes as a society, paving the way for some of the breakthroughs we've experienced recently. Marriage equality, the beginning of transgender acknowledgment, and women, well, I suppose we've made a few gains here and there. We are still receiving less pay for the same job as a male is paid. While we have made forward progress within the military, the average working wife/mother is still pulling double duty as homemaker — after putting in a full day's work. That isn't to say that this is as prevalent as it was 20 years ago, but household duties like cleaning, cooking, and family caregiving are still largely seen as a woman's 'job'.

I can't say as I have seen much in the way of notable change when it comes to race relations. I know there have been positive changes in some parts of the country, but other areas are still mired in the 'us against them' mentality. I want to see a day when the color of someone's skin, their gender, their sexual preference and their cultural heritage aren't seen as wrong. We can't base our opinion of others on these factors, it makes absolutely no sense and just fuels the fires of hate and aggression. Far too many people have died in the name of fear, hate, and intolerance. How am I any more acceptable to the world around me than someone who's skin is darker or someone who follows a different religion? How does my gender still limit my professional progression in life, or dictate how I am treated? Why does the color of someone skin still determine worth, innocence/guilt, or trust?

The practice of discrimination has got to end. When crimes are committed, they are carried out by people who lack integrity, a moral compass, and the will to live an honest live, not because of the color of their skin. We tell our children to be wary of strangers because you cannot tell who is 'good' and who is 'bad' simply by looking at them. How is it as adults we've forgotten this? I cannot base my knowledge, fear or apprehension on the appearance of a person — and that includes the color of their skin. We need to start seeing the world in a better light. There will be times when we look past some outward aspect of a person and they wrong us anyway. That does not mean we jump to the conclusion that all people with this or a similar aspect, trait, defining characteristic are the same as that one person. Let's start shedding old fears and outdated thoughts about one another. There is no hope for a better world if we cling to hate and negative energy.

No comments:

Post a Comment