Waking up is less easy when sunrise happens after 6 a.m. At least for me, it's difficult to rouse myself when it is still so dark out. What is odd to me, is that I get up at essentially the same time every day, the fact that there is now a lack of light welcoming the day doesn't seem like it should make that much of a difference. It's the only factor in my sleep-to-awake routine that has been altered, so clearly it is the likely culprit in the slow start my days have been experiencing the past couple of weeks.
Once I'm up, it's business as usual, but setting both feet on the floor and hoisting myself out of a warm, comfortable bed is now a full-on process. This is one of the many reasons I resent the colder months. I enjoy daylight immensely, it is something of an energy reserve for me. I typically don't need a clock when the mornings greet me bright and sunny.
I don't feel as though I require more sleep these days, but despite getting the typical 6-7 hours, I could sneak in another 1-2 without trying. This might not be an issue were it not for me trying to get my workout in before I taxi the teen to school. Coming back home to get ready for work and then being able to dive in makes for a far smoother day. If I don't workout early, it is hard to fit it in during the day. Despite working from home, my schedule isn't as flexible for that kind of thing as you might think.
As we get farther into the fall season, my hope is that mornings will resume the ease I have grown used to. I will embrace sweaters, socks, and shoes again, though the cooler temperatures won't likely be appreciated no matter how long I'm allotted to adjust. Adapting to change, no matter how subtle, sometimes takes more concerted effort — even then, there are times when the challenge just becomes part of the routine.
No comments:
Post a Comment