I might have been a bit overzealous on Instagram earlier today. It's just so hard to resist taking photos of my sons and of the oceanside. The absolute beauty of water, the islands, the boats...next to being able to see it, hearing it is the best. It's really a close call between the two, as both seeing the ocean and hearing it relaxes me and brings joy to my life.
Despite my loathing of the weather yet to come, I couldn't move away full-time. There is something about the Maine coast that I'd likely go through withdrawals without for too long. When the time presents itself, I'll have no issues being a snowbird. Until then, I'll take in whatever warm days and ocean air I can, hoping to sustain my overall mood through winter.
Having both my sons with me boosts the effects coastal visits have on me. The older they get, I consider myself fortunate to have as many experiences with them as I do, because they could insist on doing their own thing. There is far less griping than there once was about spending a few hours by the ocean. When they were younger they would complain the whole way there, but soon forget how much they didn't want to go once the sea breeze hit them. Clearly, these two are just as affected by the coastline as their mother. There's just something about the ocean.
I rarely do more than walk my feet in, and lucky for me that's all the physical contact I need. Temperatures rarely rise above the mid-60s in this part of the Atlantic, so it has to be unbearable hot to brave full body submersion. It's good to know I'll instantly be cooled off should I need it, but it's hardly ever necessary. Next to being on a beach, being on a boat is the next best way to get my ocean fix in. I don't utilize the island ferries nearly enough and I plan to change that next summer.
Until then, I expect to spend as much time between now and winter by the ocean. It helps that I'm just minutes away from countless access points. There are no regrets moving here. None whatsoever.
No comments:
Post a Comment