Thursday, September 8, 2016

Finding The Time

Sometimes I wonder if being mentally exhausted is worse than physically spent. It's a completely different kind of tired, so I suppose it's relative to how you're feeling one day from the next. On days where I don't move much because I'm stuck at my laptop working, the taxing of mental exertion can be worse than if I'd pushed myself to my body's limits with movement.

I'd likely still manage to muster something somewhat interesting to write about despite physical fatigue. Doing so when my brain has reached the point of being fried, however, it is beyond difficult. I both love and loathe my current occupation. It affords me the kind of flexibility and freedom that is generally worth the stress. Of course, at the end of the day, my capacity for writing anything of substance diminishes, greatly.

That said, I've had a bit more success writing first thing in the morning. The house isn't as quiet as it was just a couple of weeks ago, now that both boys are up and getting ready for school. So even the mornings are a challenge. There is rarely an optimal time to sit and write. This is something that I either need to change or something I need to adjust my focus and acceptance of. My guess is the latter will be the easiest approach.

Getting comfortable enough in less than desirable conditions to write anything of quality is certainly going to require time. We don't adapt to most things overnight. I've made countless adjustments in my life that called for patience and resolve, so this isn't all that different. At least that's what I'm telling myself. Let the adjustment period begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment