Monday, January 25, 2016

Some Numbers Are Better Than Others

As I've touched on in previous posts, I work out regularly. I'm on a relatively strict, ultra-low carb meal plan (I loathe the word diet, and it's nasty connotations), and I'm gluten free. At no point have I indicated that my goal is to lose weight. In fact, I make reference to loving 'gains' frequently. Why then, is it the immediate assumption of others when they learn more about my eating habits and weight training that my end goal is to drop pounds? 

To that point, why are all the food tracking apps created with 'hey, you'd weigh XXX.XX at the end of X weeks, if this represents every meal'? I know that I am far from the only fitness minded individual who ignores the scale. Yes, it is true I am not overweight, nor did I start this journey of health needing to drop pounds. Honestly, it wouldn't matter if I was carrying around extra body fat; the scale is the last tool that should be utilized when trying to get fit. I'll touch on what 'fit' means later.

The first and most reliable tool for gauging body progress of any kind is a tape measure. That is it. If your goal is to lose mass and sculpt a leaner, meaner you, the scale isn't going to tell you the whole truth. It can, and often will, actually lie to you. Inches are the truest indicator of progress. Whether they are inches lost or like in my case inches gained, it is common for that number on the scale to barely budge - even when your tape measure is telling you your hard work and healthy eating are paying off! Most of us wouldn't continue seeking out a friend who lied to us, gave only partial advice or support, so why are we relying so much on a tool that doesn't tell us much?

Weight is such a huge topic. Especially in the female population. With so much focus on efforts to lose weight, it rarely seems to occur to people that there could be another goal for someone who is adding exercise and cleaning up their eating habits. Not everyone needs or wants to lose weight, and I think it's time we look at how we perceive getting fit and healthy. It's narrow-minded to assume there is only one possible goal for working out, and while it seems there are people who still think telling someone they are 'skinny,' 'tiny' or 'small' is a compliment, I assure you they are not received as such by women like me. Hearing those descriptors sucks, because it undermines my perception of the progress I thought I was making. 

I know enough about being confident and having a 'duck's back' when it comes to that kind of thing. But everyone wants to hear something positive about their appearance when they've put in the effort to change it. Women who have lost weight beam when someone recognizes it and tells them so. It is no different for women who want to gain mass. I never liked my thin, shapeless arms, so when I've worked hard and added an inch and a half to each, giving them shape, the last thing I want to hear is how 'skinny' or 'little' someone thinks I am. It isn't remotely a compliment. 

My friend Kelly and I have a ritual of sending each other progress pictures. Both she and I are short and started out on our weight lifting paths being small; she was smaller than I was and therefore, even more, sensitive to comments about her physique. Rightfully so. We give each other honest feedback, because, let's face it; it can be difficult to see changes when you see yourself every day - no matter what the tape measure tells you. Neither of us will likely ever be seen as 'huge', but without a doubt, we are bigger and more cut (sculpted) than ever before. Kel is my weight lifting inspiration, and now she's got the body to go with that badass 'come at me' attitude she used to have back in the day.

What does it mean to be fit? If you Google the definition like I just did, you'll see the meaning is far more broad than what is commonly used to describe being fit. 

fit /adjective/ - in good health, especially because of regular physical exercise.

Somehow over time, the quest for fitness came to mean only achieving a specific number on that bastard scale, again, particularly with females. And that number was rarely the suggested weight for a person's height. We are so hung up on numbers, that we've lost sight of what should be the primary focus: working toward building a strong, healthy body. Each of us is built differently, there should be no generalizations applied to all when it comes to what fit looks like. Progress and success are customized to the individual and their specific goals. 

I want the curves and definition of muscle, thicker thighs with no gap and an ample ass. The only way to achieve those goals is to lift weights. Heavy weights. This also means I will gain weight, and I am more than okay with that. I finally got over the illusion of that 'perfect number', because it will never get me the results I'm striving for. I don't need the scale to tell me what I can see and feel.

Whether your goals are to build muscle or to lean out, to lose body fat or to gain mass, the first step is to retrain your brain. Having the right mindset about the true nature of being fit, allows you to set attainable goals that make up real progress. Progress specific to you

Once more of us change the way we define fitness and eating plans, and the reasons people seek to incorporate both into their lives, maybe we will start seeing others as individuals instead of comparing them to some ridiculous example of what is ideal. 

If you want to change your life, change it for the right reasons, using the right tools with the right mindset. You will go farther, stay motivated longer, and be more open to peace and happiness in your life. Being fit and eating healthy are the visible and actionable ways we value the core of who we are, and we should show others respect for doing the same - but doing it in the way that is right for them. Build the body you want that best compliments the person you are - be the whole you you've always wanted to be. Don't be limited by outdated definitions and narrow-minded views- or some number on a scale. 

No comments:

Post a Comment