While I may begin something at the start of the year, I don't make resolutions. Change is far too important to save for that first day on a new calendar. The day we choose to eat better, workout, be more enlightened, or walk the positive path isn't nearly as monumental as is the choice being made.
Some changes take planning and understandably cannot begin the day after deciding to change our path. Overall, people talking about making more small alterations within a year than they do big ones, though the reasons to not follow through seem to greatly outnumber their original intents. It's just easier to put things off and not try. The problem with that is over time, the hopes and dreams, the good ideas pile up in the corner of our minds, undone, and essentially become tools of bitterness.
There have been far too many should have, could have, wish I would have moments in my life. I finally got tired of letting my inner skeptic talk me out of doing what I want, or making better choices just because it may have involved a little risk and actual work. For the most part, I am proactive in my desire to continue becoming all I can be, and all that hope to become. If it occurs to me that I need to approach something from a different way, I don't put it off until the 'right time' comes along; I make the changes within a day or two, while the idea and desire are still fresh in my mind.
By the same premise, I don't celebrate holidays or special occasions quite the way I used to. When I want to show someone I care about what their presence in my life means to me, I do something that reflects that whenever I can. There is no waiting for a certain day, because every day has the potential to present opportunity and meaning.
I don't want to entertain regret or her ugly sisters doubt and resentment. When I fail to act on change, a goal, or showing someone I care, I have thrown away moments that I will never get back. Wasted time and opportunity do nothing to help us along our chosen road, nor do they help us navigate to a better one when it is clear the direction we are going just isn't leading to where we had hoped or intended.
If you want to make changes, try new things, or spend time with someone you care about, commit to doing just that. Don't wait for a new year, the start of a new month, or some preset date on a calendar to start. We get more out of our efforts when we have our whole hearts behind them. Delaying actions causes interest, motivation, and conviction to wane, and with that we try less and less to succeed. Make sure you're giving it all you originally intended when you first decided to make the change, and follow through instead of letting potentially amazing things pass you by.
No comments:
Post a Comment