Saturday, January 23, 2016

So Many Songs, How Can I Be This Old?

Do I apologize for the flailing arms or my jarring elbows? I'm really not sure, especially since that drink that was not mine was just spilled down my front side with absolutely no interference from said arms. But hey, we were all just getting crazy listening to an 80s cover band, so ... I guess it all comes out in the wash.

I think I totally did the whole Snapchat thing wrong tonight because it was all video. Hey, I indulged in some adult bevvies and I'm feeling no pain - sue me. My child sucks because he just told me I am like my mother. Gah! I need another Jameson. The kid is watching John Mulaney and it's totally distracting me from writing.

This post may well be incomprehensible and I make NO apologies. Read at your own risk.

What the hell is it with guys? I'm on the dance floor (a feat in itself) and because I'm getting into the music and quasi-dancing that's an invitation to try and dance up on me? No. Just no. Back your junk up and think twice, because girl is having fun and not doing a mating ritual. WTF?

I have not been out to see a local band in longer than I care to admit. Considering that I support local talent. In any case, I had resisted seeing this particular band for YEARS, because I don't like 'cover' bands...BUT they were amazing! From the moment that I walked up beside the window and heard "Warrior" I knew I was not going to stand a chance of standing still. Outside, in the cold, waiting to get in, I was bouncing up and down singing...music from my LIFE - how could I possibly sit still?

I feel like Joan Rivers ... Can we talk?

No, really. I had no idea that parenting and being single were at such conflicting positions. Take an Uber or make my kid transport me? Uh, I choose kid...hey, designated driving can never be taught too early. That said, it is always in my intention to teach and not horrify. Whether I'm staying within that vein is subject to the child's perception. Of course, just knowing he has dropped me off to have a drink or two severely taints his expectations upon retrieving me. Result? He immediately assumes I am inebriated.

Teenagers.

Aside from the assumptions of a 16 yr-old, the night was full of songs from my earlier years...most of which I knew the words to. Of course, Corey Hart's 'Sunglasses at Night' had me Googling the lyrics, because the beginning line of the chorus has always escaped me. Now I KNOW. "Don't switch the blade on the guy in shades, oh no. Don't mascarade with the guy in shades, oh no." Who the fuck knew? NOT me. Thirty-two years and I finally know what the fuck Corey is saying. Why have I never used the internet to this end before?

This particular cover band is most certainly worth seeing again. And again.

Life is worth experiencing, so whether it is seeing an 80s cover band called The Awesome, or just hanging out with amazing people...do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment