Thursday, January 28, 2016

I Might Have Missed a Boat or Two, but I'm on Time for Most of Them Now

Do you ever have those moments when you wish you had started something sooner in life? Maybe a hobby, traveling or trying different foods? Though I don't consider the things I wish had done sooner regrets, they do give me pause when I think about them.

It would be difficult to count the things I wish I knew how to do; wish I was young enough to start. I think the things that bother me most, the things that come up again and again, are good habits I could have instilled in my sons had I only lead by better example. I've never been as organized as I'd like to be; there will always be a corner of my kitchen counter that collects an assortment of mail, objects, and random possessions. My work desk will likely stay strewn with paperwork, albeit behind doors.

When I pick up socks on the living room floor, I can't reprimand my son, because nine times out of ten my own are laying somewhere close to his. The funny thing is it is such a habit to remove them that I often don't realize I've done it until I pick them up the next morning. Slippers are essentially the same in this house. Evidently, we are a family of indecisive foot attire wearing. I hope my future daughters-in-law don't resent me when they find they're constantly tripping over these items in the middle of the floor.

I do wish I had introduced a more active lifestyle to both of my children. It's amazing how genetics can dial down the level of importance placed on fitness and mobility. Overall they are both healthy and thin, and as young children they weren't the type to sit inside all day, but because I didn't provide the best example I could have, they are far more sedate than they should be given their ages. Yes, I wish I had done these things and more, but I'm happy to have recognized any of it at all.

They may be more inclined to follow their own path, but there is still hope that any examples I am setting for them now while they still live at home will make an impression. A good, lasting impression. They are still young enough to devote large amounts of energy to something, and I am hopeful the positive approach to life has taken root within them. What an amazing advantage to figure out they can be happy long before their 40s.

As for me, I might have fleeting moments of lamenting the things I never did, but I'm seizing the opportunities that present themselves, and making my own whenever possible. I want my sons to see me enjoying life, but more than that I want to lug around so many memories of all the things I did and accomplished that there just isn't room for all the bullshit baggage anymore.


No comments:

Post a Comment