Sunday, January 10, 2016

One of My Happy Past-times

Despite being as modern as I consider myself, I enjoy some things that are often (unfairly) associated with the domesticated female role of years gone by. Ok, so the fact that I used the word 'modern' as a descriptor dates me, badly. I'm also aware that depending on the age of the person who reads this, the correlation between certain tasks and previously held gender-specific roles may not be appreciated.

I thoroughly enjoy standing in a kitchen preparing food. By no means do I think this task is strictly for women, as I am well aware that people of both sexes are, and have long been food prep enthusiasts. It is still quite a prevalent thought among certain generations that the woman's place is in the kitchen, which is the population in mind as I write this.

I wouldn't say I'm a culinary diva; I lack many skills, particularly those needed when wielding knives. Despite my possession of only the most basic kitchen adeptness, I manage to produce some above average meals. While my body may not appreciate the time I spend standing at a counter chopping, diving, stuffing and sautéing, I still find great satisfaction. The art of preparing food, however basic, has become even more of a draw to me since developing certain food allergies.

I once had a lackluster approach to cooking; it served a purpose - nourishing my family. And anyone who has young children understands that cooking to everyone's palette is exhausting, so simple dishes increased the odds that food wasn't left to waste. Simple food wasn't anything I found a reason to get excited about.

As my sons got older, and my food budget pinched, cooking became a stress. The boys ate a much larger variety of foods, foods that I also enjoyed, but often they were ingredients that seemed like a luxury given their price tags. Despite that hurdle, I learned to enjoy being creative with dinner, especially when the reaction to the result was positive.

I grew up with a mother who was essentially banned from the kitchen during my early years, to one who discovered she was more than capable of making great dishes after her divorce. I have far more memories of my mother contentedly bustling about our kitchen than I do of her standing on the sidelines of someone else's culinary endeavors, and it is that version of my mother that I attribute to my comfort in the kitchen. 

I find it relaxing, as well as fulfilling to create a variety of meals that aren't repetitive or boring. I may never be an amazing cook with an aptitude for churning out fine cuisine, but I have no aspirations to either. I am more than satisfied to be on the above average scale of everyday, in-home cooking aficionados. I don't need to excel at presentation or playing, so long as the food tastes good and the offerings aren't the same dishes, week after week. 

When I want exceptional, I venture out for food made by career professionals. If I'm looking for home-style dishes that are pleasantly varied, I spend time in my kitchen, confident that I do all right, enjoy the task, and it has absolutely nothing to do with my gender. 

No comments:

Post a Comment