Thursday, January 14, 2016

Pure Energy

I don't believe in a god. That doesn't mean that I cannot appreciate others' dedication to religion. I fully admire and am often moved by the beautiful way religion, and its followers can relay a story, idea or philosophy. I don't need to belong to a denomination of faith to understand the devotion and trust of those who believe in a higher power. After all, there are many reasons to put your faith in something.

It's true that I find my Catholic upbringing wrought with fallacies; strategically crafted tales that are often laced with instruction to fear God. I don't feel the need to debate the existence of a supreme, all-knowing being. If this is what gets a person through their day to day, and through their last moments here on earth, who am I to say they are wrong? My belief is that we are all energy, and when we leave our bodies, that energy joins all that surrounds us. I am okay with believing there is no afterlife; actually, I find it calming. What I find disturbing is that when I divulge my agnosticism, a fair amount of the time I get the eye-roll type attitude.

I have no desire to tell another person how to live. I mean, if they ask for advice then I've got permission, but even then I wouldn't attempt to dissuade someone from beliefs that are woven into the foundation of their existence. I've known for some years that my choice in an agnostic life would offend others. It just saddens me that more people cannot abide by 'live, and let live' when it comes to this particular topic.

Both of my sons are of the same mind as I am. I never discounted the information they got at their friends' homes.  They've experienced church and a few different belief systems through the people they've spent time with, and I supported this because I wanted each of them to make their own choice. We talked about it when they had questions, but I never pushed my beliefs on them, just as I never downed anyone whose ideas were different from my own.

I remember a conversation with my oldest son where he asked me if I believed in God. My relationship with my children has always been one of open honesty. My answer to him could never have been anything less than the truth, so I explained that I don't believe there is a God, but that it is what I chose to believe. I wanted him to know that he didn't simply have to follow my lead, particularly if it didn't suit him. Each of my boys had a moderate amount of experience with the beliefs of those who subscribe to one religion or another, and ultimately they each chose to walk a path that made the best sense for them. As it happens, agnosticism won out. At the end of the day, their lives and how they relate to the world around them made more sense, than believing something other than what their predominantly Catholic families do.

While it may seem like a reason to be at odds with one another, belief or non-belief in a deity does not dictate the genuine goodness of a soul. Religion does not make a person better than someone without a similar belief; it does not corner the market on kindness and goodwill. A person's belief they will go to heaven if they do what is outlined in a book written thousands of years ago, does not make them any more deserving of respect, love or a happy life. Atheists and agnostics do amazingly humane and positive things each and every day. A lack of belief in an organized religion has nothing to do with the quality of a person.

I can accept that you believe in a god and that you attribute all life's sufferings and successes to His plan. Can you accept that I do not share your beliefs and that I attribute my hardships and happiness to the energy I create and share?

Do what is right for you, but don't fool yourself into thinking what's right for you is the better way, the only true answer, or the best way for everyone to live. In the end, none of us will know what lies beyond until we pass from this life, so concentrate on living a rich and whole life while you still have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment