Some time ago I subscribed to a daily quote via email. Not just any quotes, positive words, often with a hint of tenacity. I start my day, every day with this email. Somedays the message is forgotten shortly after reading, but most days the message resonates. Today's quote definitely had staying power.
"Throw soft light on the doom clingers."
So many thoughts went through my head as I read this. We have the choice to be led by our noses, or to be the good influence for others. We can choose to let someone antagonize us, goading us into a reaction we will regret, or we can let the words or actions of another person be what they are - maintaining our dignity and peace of mind. There are always choices, even when they are difficult to see.
If you're living a more uplifted, proactive and meaningful life, it isn't enough to just make the changes. At some point you need to share your experience, particularly with those who are in most need of hearing it. I maintain that toxic people should be kept at a distance, but that doesn't mean you can't be an example to them. You don't have to let someone else's gray cloud shadow your life.
I figure my light is shining, so why shouldn't it brighten someone else's surroundings - even if they didn't ask for it. Those who live in negativity often forget that a happier state of being exists. It's really up to the rest of us to remind them - gently.
No comments:
Post a Comment