Tomorrow my mother is a year older. Today I am beyond grateful that she has been there for nearly everything memorable in my life. Forty-four years of ups and downs, triumphs and disappointments; she's always been there. I followed the path of idolizing her to eye rolling everything she offered in life lessons, then to calling her for advice when I became a mother, and finally, now, I look at her as a friend. I don't need her in my life, as much as I want her in it.
We may not always agree on things, but I never question her honesty. Things could have turned out far differently for us - I came along when she was still so young. I've often jokingly said that I was the test child, but if our relationship and my place in the world were the result of a first-time mother muddling through parenthood, I'd say she was always destined to ace that test. And I don't mean to say that I'm awesome, but hey, I am. No clueless woman could have instilled values, common sense, independence, consideration, compassion, love, and loyalty so effectively if she wasn't a natural.
Not only did she manage to succeed in raising me, but she also instilled, all the same, qualities in my sisters. There was always a healthy balance of fun and discipline in our house though being four females definitely presented challenges. I always knew that my mother was young, but I never felt like she was growing up at the same time as me. There was no doubt of her ability and dedication to raising us, and doing her best at it.
My sisters and I are grown and have our own families, and it is more apparent now just how natural my mother is at being a nurturing soul. Each of her nine grandchildren brought out more of who she is each time they entered the world, showing me a side to her I might never have recognized otherwise. My sons, nephews and niece (who gave us a unique way of saying I love you by stating her age at the end of the statement) are all so fortunate to have a grandmother who is all my mother has come to be, but with all the indulgences she resisted as a parent. That, and she's far more hip than either of my grandmothers ever were, dear as they were and are to me.
Of all the things my mother gave me, the ability to recognize and celebrate those who are important to me is by far the greatest. I can't imagine what life would be like had she been a different person, had she not raised me they way she did. I am happy I never have to wonder.
Mom, thank you. I love you more than 44.
No comments:
Post a Comment