Monday, January 4, 2016

It's About More Than Just Those Muscle Gains...Much More

There may be those who read this post that do not agree with my view on the connection between social/intimate relationships and fitness. I feel compelled to share my thoughts, just the same.

There has been a slowly progressing belief in my life, that has all but finally revealed itself to me. I may continue to spend a bit of time fine tuning this belief, but the foundation and general idea are surprisingly stable. Experiencing this type of realization is always a bit of a fascinating time, so true to form, I can't help but write about it.

Throughout my 44 years on this earth, there have been many sayings that have impacted my way of thinking. These 'truisms', as I've come to see them, seem to guide me in my one-of-a-kind journey. That's not to say I live solely by these words and phrases, just that they have helped shape who I am and the way I live. In this same way, my newfound dedication to being fit has taken hold and influenced who I am - who I want to be.

"You only get out what you put in." 

The commitment needed to become fit, no matter what method a person may choose, is not unlike that required for successfully healthy, beneficial relationships and friendships. Beyond dedication, the path of fitness can improve our outlook on the world, life, and those with which we surround ourselves. Not seeing the connections? Let me explain.

When I decided that I wanted to give my new and improved soul a body that complimented the hard work and changes made within, it took a level of commitment that I had been unable to rise to in the past. The routine alone was just plain horrifying to my scatterbrained approach to many aspects of my day-to-day. I had once considered routine to be a prison of those who lacked passion and creativity. In reality, I was avoiding the process of pushing myself to succeed at anything.

My mother would say I "learned everything the hard way." Being independent for me often meant figuring things out on my own, regardless of others' offers to show me a faster, less grueling way. I like to think that I have made great strides in being open to assistance. That progress is in no small part due to seeking out advice and proven structure with weight training and overall body health. Maintaining a properly functioning and resilient body are just too important to attempt figuring out on my own - the hard way.

Of course, I researched and tried a few things here and there, but when I finally made the choice to get serious and work at this not just as a goal, but as a way of life, I sought out expert advice. In all my searching I found that Beach Body fit all of my goals, not just my physical ones. Every program that I have incorporated into my fitness adventure has added to the overall confidence and sense of completeness I feel each and every day. That, however, is a different post all on its own. 

Just how does this fit into relationships and friendship? Incredibly, it can be seen in almost every aspect of human interaction. 

Making long-term changes for the better, sticking to a routine and regularly challenging myself to push physical limits has instilled the importance and doable nature of working toward something. Good relationships, romantic or otherwise, don't just stand the test of time without effort. People change, mistakes get made, and unforeseen events occur requiring shifts to maintain connections. If a person has the drive to better themselves through fitness, they have the necessary qualities needed to repair, rebuild and foster strength with those they hold dear. 

"You can't truly love someone until you first love yourself."

Though that kind of hard work is a product of well-practiced diligence, there are other effects that while internal, impact how we relate and function with others. Choosing to change our bodies for the better instantly leads to a better sense of self. All too often we put ourselves on the proverbial backburner to do for everyone else. We are all guilty of it, parents in particular. When we stop neglecting ourselves, we begin to understand what it is to feel truly valued. There is no other way to show another person how we value them without first believing the value we possess ourselves. 

Pace. Oh that seemingly elusive thing any number of us can see missing all around us. Thanks in no small part to social media and technology. Who needs to exercise patience in a culture of instant EVERYTHING? By approaching weight training as something to build on, slowly, I've avoided setbacks because of injury. That means I see results that last. Sure they may have taken weeks and months to show up, but the gains are undeniably real and so worth the wait! If you think a person has some level of value, having the willpower of pacing yourself ensures you will get to know them and build a sturdy foundation that will make all the fun stuff that much better. When you can appreciate the whole person, everything you experience with them is so much more memorable and worthwhile. That doesn't come from instantaneous gratification. Diligence, patience and appreciation.

"Enough is enough."

Having a solid sense of self, truly understanding your value, and being able to identify your limits are specific lessons that come from sculpting your body. If you possess all of these, you are a fine-tuned machine. When something doesn't feel right, you stop and adjust your form. If you feel like you can do even one more rep, then it's likely that you didn't give your all. I know I spent far too much of my life beating a dead horse. In the sense of just not knowing when I'd given too much to something or someone that simply didn't possess the value I imagined. So much of myself that I foolishly gave away that could have been otherwise used for better purposes, and more worthy individuals. I failed to recognize the ways I overextended myself and my graciousness, because I had no idea what my limits were. When we explore and learn how to maintain the limits that keep us safe from injury, while allowing us to continue growing, it is far more likely we will be able to walk away from those things that will inevitably do us harm. 

When I chose to change my body, after experiencing growth as a person spiritually, I never expected this fitness journey to continue shaping who I am. Let alone pave a more visible path to the person I want to become. I had no idea just how much I still had to learn about myself, but I am elated to have learned enough to identify it and embrace it so completely.

It isn't about what the world sees when they look at me from the outside; it's what shines through to the people who can appreciate all that I am and all I have to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment