While it might sting a little to be confronted with something you did that negatively affected others, the end result should be a positive one.
Today I did something out of character for me, and the unfortunate result was it affected a host of other people. I've worked hard at thinking before I speak, but every once in awhile I get lax in that endeavor. I am quite regretful I failed to use my internal speech filter, but thankfully someone I respect highly was kind enough to bring my faux pas to my attention.
It isn't our missteps that define us; it is how we own them. If we allow the full gravity of our actions to be felt and realized without defensiveness, the end result is a forward step on the right path. Sometimes we need to fall back a rung or two, in order to remember the importance of how we approach our present and future.
Through this experience, I learned that I can get complacent, and if I allow that to happen too often, my character will suffer. As difficult as it is to see myself in a light that I know is not the truest representation of who I am, it is a great opportunity to grow, not to mention solidify my resolve to put the best version of myself out there.
To the person who thought enough of me to reach out and convey my mistake (you know who you are), THANK YOU. You've given me a chance to strengthen my integrity.
No comments:
Post a Comment