Over the weekend I reconnected with high school friends; a few I hadn't seen in 25 years; which is surprising given the turnout for the 20th (our first ever) reunion. Check out this photo taken five years ago:
I've long maintained that I didn't like high school. It wasn't because it was wrought with hardships, or unpleasant experiences - nothing overly negative marks those four years. I just simply loathed the entire process of homework and sitting in class taking notes, listening to lectures; I couldn't wait to just be free to live my life on my own terms. Independence can occasionally have unintended effects. Thankfully, I can look back on those years without many regrets. Sure, I could have 'applied myself more' in classes, actually cared about my GPA, and challenged myself instead of lamenting about how much I wanted to be out of school, and bucking the system. But I was able to do something that I could never regret. I immersed myself in the social aspect of that overly structured experience.
Why is that a good thing? Most often kids are chastised for being too social, or not taking their studies seriously. While I don't discount the importance of education, I think adults often forget the value of socialization. I am the person I am today, because of all I experienced in the high school social climate of the late 80s. It wasn't all fabulous, but what it taught me became the cornerstone for my interactions in adulthood.
I remembered so many of my classmates; recognizing most of them at first glance. I didn't belong to any clique; though to be fair, cliques in our class weren't über rigid. The ability to get to know people outside of my tight knit circle of friends (who I still hold close today), has been one of the biggest assets in my professional life. Whether in my time as a reporter, or as a hair stylist, being able to strike up conversation with complete strangers, and hone my skills of recollection would never have been possible without first having braved the social waters during those defining teen years.
![]() |
| Class of 1990 - way back when |
Over the weekend, some 50 classmates gathered in a function room, and it was as though little time had passed. Some I didn't know well, and others with whom I shared a bigger bond - all reminiscing without any hint of the prejudices that may have existed in high school. Though so many didn't make it, the smaller turn out was perfect for having genuine conversations, and truly being able to 'catch up'. I can't imagine having gone through those tumultuous teenage years with any other people. No matter what little divisions there were among groups then, there was always an overall connection that negated any social hierarchy. That, at least as far as I've experienced, is still part of who we are today.
![]() |
| This photo was taken after a number of people has left - we were all so engrossed in catching up, we hadn't thought to capture the group as a whole. |
I could likely thank each and every person from this weekend for their part in shaping my own life; no matter how they impacted those years, it all played a part in creating the person I am. I am grateful to be a part of each of their lives; whatever level of involvement that is.



No comments:
Post a Comment