Today started out like a pile of horse shit. I got a call from my mother that my grandmother was in the hospital. Nobody wants that phone call. To make it or to be on the receiving end. Without going into specifics, she is resting, and we will hopefully know more in the days to come.
When the day begins like that, it is nearly impossible to avoid attracting more shit. The worry and stress, despite being hopeful and reminding yourself things always work out, are like a super magnet for every crappy thing out there. Now, I could lament about each and every hurdle I faced today, but the only helpful thing to do really, is acknowledge how much shit I didn't suck in to my immediate atmosphere. Just doing that - that one simple thing, opened the door for a few good things that made these past waking hours bearable.
I was able to experience the love, appreciation and genuineness of women I have worked with, as I departed the salon for the last time as a stylist there. It is never easy to leave a job you love, particularly if you really enjoy the people you work beside. I have been so incredibly fortunate in that respect, and no amount of shit circumstance could ever keep me from seeing the wonderful impact they have had on my life.
I've read that if you've been friends with someone for seven years, the friendship is destined to last a lifetime. My second amazing moment of the day, and thankfully not lost in all the stress, was just after going to pay for the balance of my son's car repairs. I have known the owner of the car dealership for some 15 years. I actually sat here in disbelief as I went back to the first time I cut his hair; 15 years! Crazy! We sat and talked for a bit with his girlfriend, and after I left he texted that he was just going to drop my son's car off to him at work. I don't know of any car dealers who would do that, so it is clear this is a nod to our friendship. That seemingly small gesture, literally made my night. Not to mention reaffirmed that I have more people of great value in my life than most people could hope for.
That a colossally shitty day could turn around and I'd be sitting here smiling at these things, just proves I cannot live without thoughtful reflection. It's a challenge that doesn't end, and a lifestyle that requires consistency. To be more, to live more whole, and to produce an impact of good, I need to actively remind myself of the things that make my life exactly what I love.
No comments:
Post a Comment