I've seriously lost count of how many days I've been housebound. Not because I'm having the time of my life – more like the days just run together with nothing unique to set them apart. I do know that Bob Marley (the comedian) has the right count. I started working from home the same day he started his 'Crona Watch 2020' videos. (And because I linked his Facebook page, I know now it's been 35 days – Holy Hannah)
As a kid, many of us played the whole 'If you could only take XYZ with you on a deserted island, what would you take' type games. I can tell you with complete certainty that I have NONE of the things I thought I would need or want with me in any kind of isolation. Like none of them. That said, I am fortunate enough to have everything that I need to stay healthy, mindfully present and emotionally balanced during this kind of social distancing. I would say I walk the line between extrovert and introvert, and though I can be outgoing and sociable, I crave and value my alone time like every self-respecting introvert. Just the fact that it's been over a month since I've had any in-person interactions with friends and family (outside of my roommate) makes it tough to see the still long road ahead. There's AT LEAST another 20 days of isolation to endure, though I fully expect more. I spend most days redirecting my thoughts and perception of this current situation because I have it ridiculously good. I am truly grateful.
In addition to still being gainfully employed and receiving a paycheck every week, I have a roommate to keep me in the habit of in-person conversation and socializing, two loving dogs who couldn't be happier we are both home all the time, a full fridge and pantry, a roof over my head with all assortment of creature comforts, and I have a side hustle that adds purpose, positivity, and wellness to my life (not to mention a second paycheck). I know that despite all these things I am allowed to have moments of frustration, sadness, and impatience, but I try to push most of those aside and use this time as an opportunity to remember that I have a good life. It's also a good time to reflect on how I interact with the planet. Understanding what I have taken for granted and also neglected to do to preserve and respect our environment and the life it holds beyond human.
Most days I get up, work out, work, cook and work on building my Arbonne business. It's repetitive and sometimes feels wholly unimportant in the grand scheme of what so many are dealing with right now. Not being able to see friends and family is tough, but I know they are all okay. I believe there is something tangible in that knowledge and I've grabbed onto it. There may come a day when that changes, but for now, I hold it close and appreciate the gift that each day like this is.
I thought I might drink more. I expected to be crawling the walls with irritation. I've managed to avoid both of those things so far. I've had a beverage or two, but nothing more. There have been moments I wanted to complain about being bored, but instead, I've changed my view - either by going for a walk, moving to a different room or sitting outside and enjoying the sun when it shines. Being cooped up with one person could have led to irritability of intense levels, but 35 days in we are still cohabitating without incident. For two strong-willed, stubborn people, that's a hell of an accomplishment.
So, looking ahead to an uncertain future, I remind myself that no future is certain aside from eventual death. Being housebound does not make the coming days any more of a mystery. The anticipation of being able to once again resume social gatherings and moving about in the world more freely can either cause you stress or make you more mindful and appreciative. It's a choice, at least for those of us with nothing of consequence to complain or lament about.
No comments:
Post a Comment